Monday, March 9, 2009

Wet feet done gon' dry up!

Last Friday, I was effectively whisked away to my new host family, which was a break in plan (the tradition it would seem).

I'll break it down:

Location:

A rather large apartment on the sixth floor of a building across the street from Taipei 101 (I have yet to ask about the address). The rooms are very open, on the larger side, which creates this effect where it feels as though every sound made is amplified so that the whole apartment can here.
My room is, once again, a study with books and a computer. A fairly public domain if I don't shut and lock the door (reasons for that later).
The whole place reminds me of my first host family, but on a larger scale. It has all of the relevant rooms, just greatly expanded. Plus, there's a Phillipino housekeeper, to top off the similarities.

Family:

Mom, Dad, Younger Sister and Brother (the bro is the youngest). They have dogs, but I have yet to see them take any interest in them.

* * * *
The change was a little rough for me (especially when Adeng mentioned that my little niece would miss me and said that I should come back for a visit if I have the time). It's been really rainy lately, which my current mom told me the Chinese see as good luck.

Looking back on my moves (not to mention the big move of getting here in the first place), I feel that it wass really difficult for me to adequately prepare for the realities I was to face with each place I moved to.
My arrival and first host family brought me into Taiwan and out of my expectations and fantasies. Family two was, on the whole, really tough. That time of the year, I mean. The family was great, but I had to work through a few ideas before I really felt at home there and by that time I found myself sitting in this new place with an almost completely different dynamic.

The plan is that I'll be here for a month and a half and then I'll be moved to my final family to finish out my year.

Looking forward to:
  • Class trip (Counter-clockwise round the island)
  • Rotary trip (Clockwise round the island)
  • June 8th flight home
  • Maybe seeing Eric graduate
  • Working at Camp Rodney (I got the job, now I gotta fill out the paperwork)
  • First year at Tyler School of Art

I really hope my life doesn't go by without me.

No comments: