Sunday, September 28, 2008

They Tell Me This One is Bigger Than the Last One

It's Sunday afternoon and there is a howling wind outside our little apartment in NeiHu as another typhoon, this one known as 薔蜜 (Cho Me?), makes its way across Taiwan. Another old bridge collapsed. Three were destroyed in the typhoon two weeks ago.
The main reason for the destruction is the strong winds and the unbelievable amounts of rain. A river in DanShui flooded. The lake across the street from where I am living has turned brown and I'm told that it cost at least $3 million US to clean it up after typhoon season is over.
So, we're all just hanging around the house today watching television.

I was thinking, this morning about what I should do with my weekends. The last few have gone like this: I wake up close to noon, between 11 and 12, and then it's lunchtime, after which I wonder about what I will do with the time I have until I return to sleep. I decided this morning that, in living this way, I am denying myself opportunities to practice my Chinese and my art, as well as opportunities to talk to my friends or even go outside (when there's no typhoon) and explore the area in which I live.

No comments: