Thursday, September 25, 2008

Politics and Why Taiwan Should Be Allowed to Join the United Nations

Right now, I'm drinking Assam Milk Tea from the 7Eleven and thinking that this post could end very badly. What I mean to say is maybe, when it comes to who should be America's next president and why the UN should accept Taiwan, I just don't know what I'm talking about.

But I want to give it a try.



So, in my mind, I'm voting for Barack Obama (Mom, where's my absentee ballot?). I cannot justify this with any surefire reasons because I'm in Taiwan, I rarely watch international news, and I use the internet only to connect with those I know and love. As a result, my reasons are idealistic and few: He's attractive, he seems to have a relatively fresh perspective on things, he's black, and maybe the only reason that is close to being substantial, the exchange students who are not from United States that I talk to here say that he would greatly improve America's international image (and in politics, it looks to me as though image is everything). I came to these conclusions during a discussion with Adam and Dave, from Austin, Texas, today over lunch.



We had started this conversation yesterday on our way to school after we met a Reverand (Rev. William J. K. Lo) who fells it is his calling from God to get the word out about Taiwan's wanting to join the United Nations under the name of Taiwan and be officially and peacefully seperate from China. He proceeded to hand out pamphlets to the five of us and Adam and I gave him our namecards. He said something about how the Chinese leaders in Beijing are brainwashing the other world powers into believing that Taiwan is a territory of China. I don't know about that, but I do agree with him that Taiwan should be allowed to join the UN in cooperation and peace. Living here makes readily apparent the reasons, both political and cultural, why Taiwan is not a part of China. For starters, Taiwan has it's own, democratically elected leaders (the president is Mr. Chen, Shui-Bian), it's the year 97 in Taiwan, which counts the years since Taiwan became a country, and there is a cultural variety here that rivals America's.

Let it be known, I have yet to visit China. I know only what my dad, school, Walt Tilley, and the media has told me, so again I fear I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm merely being idealistic in thinking that a country that everyone thinks is China or Thailand when I talk about it could ever overcome the considerable influence of the Northern Capitol, and actually be allowed to join an organization dedicated to peaceful cooperation between nations. I continue to believe, in spite of my lack of information, that Taiwan, as free as it is, will be joining the UN in the near future, and as much as the people here try to maintain order and peace, they deserve it.

So, that's the politics on this end. Can't say much about where you are, but I've heard from multiple sources that America has another problem. It's always something.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

To Whom it May Concern: Nigel's official request form for an absentee ballot is being sent by the US Postal Service via Registered Mail. Upon receipt of the official request form, Nigel must sign & return it to the York County voter office, whereupon an official absentee ballot will be sent by the US Postal Service to Nigel afterwhich Nigel will mark the Obama spot & return under the assumption that the aforementioned vote will be received and tabulated resulting in the electoral votes of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania being awarded to the Democratic candidate and the US Supreme Court overruling the discrepancies in Florida, Nevada, and such other states wherein the margin of error was unclear resulting in the historic election. Or not....
Signed, Ms. P.T.Hiero11, official ad hoc secretary ad nauseum to Mr. Li Nigel

Li da qi said...

Ditto, I would add that after last nights debate election day will be a powerfull message to the rest of the world.