Monday, September 8, 2008

A Sick Feeling Passes

I don't have any pictures loaded yet, but I want to tell you all about what is going on with me anyway.
Last week was the beginning of school for me at Song Shan Senior High School. I have a really handsome green uniform and I take the 630 bus from Dahu Park, where I live, to China Daily Times Square (nothining like New York) where I then take the Blue 7 to school.
Well, I went to school on Monday and Tuesday, and then Wednesday I got sick around 1:00 P.M. I was feeling really tired, so Huang 老師 took me to the nurse to rest.
As soon as I lied down I began to feel warm, but I slept until 4:00 P.M. and then my counselor Maggie picked me up and took me to the clinic.
So, we see the doctor. He checks my ears, nose, and throat, listens to my heart all that jazz. Says I have the "common cough". I haven't cough all day, and the only other symptom was diharrea, which he said was caused by the same virus after I mention it.
So, he starts a-prescribin'. I'm looking at a computer screen with a box that says: INJECTED THROAT thinking he's gonna stick a big needle through me larnyx. Lucky for me, the translator meant: TAKEN ORALLY.
Anyway, I eat bread and I drink water and I orally take like five different pills and think about how Eric Lutz can't swallow pills. I continue to have diharrea for the next four days, although, after seeing a different doctor with a better diagnosis, my health begins to improve.
I had weird dreams while I was sick, intricate and hard to explain, thought I'd mention it.

So, feeling better, I look at the true cause of my illness and that's mental unrest. I didn't realize how difficult it would be for me to feel comfortable here, but it's finally starting to happen.
For one thing I really owned today, it was mine, it was me.
Right now, I know I'm going to be fine here. I know the worst is over and the best is on its way. I believe, now, more in myself, and I am more willing to transform because of this adventure.

I have plenty to look forward to and I'm beginning to understand life here in 台灣.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I still remember dreams I had when I was a little child & had a fever, like the one with the brightly colored ants marching in lines all around the curtains in my parents' room....
Do they have Gatorade to drink when you're sick in Taiwan?
I want to see a picture of you in your school uniform when you have a chance. Love from mom

Li da qi said...

Nice to see that you are back on your feet! Thank you for the response, Talk at you soon......Dad H

Vince said...

Good to hear you're getting the hang of being Taiwanese. That reminds me of the train in Germany, getting off and on to get somewhere.

p.s. I was watching this youtube when I remembered your mandolin, and thought you might like to see it/learn it if you're bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKq3e__2xPI

Sam said...

This post reminds me of Joseph Campbell's "Hero of 1000 Faces," which I haven't read. Anyway, typically in a story, a hero will go through some sort of trial by fire and will emerge the victor and be stronger as a result.

Also I like the sentence "and think about how Eric Lutz can't swallow pills" - it really captures thought processes and is good writing.

You can do it.

Anonymous said...

how dare you talk about my inability to swallow pills!