Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fights and Unlikely Heroes

I started work today on a project that I think I will be able to finish before my return. It's a series of drawings called "Fights and Unlikely Heroes" and my hope is that someday I can turn the drawings into prints. I think printmaking is one of the art forms I most enjoy, but don't have the resources to pursue right now.
Anyway, the match-ups I have so far are: Baboon vs. Taiwanese Aboriginal, Abraham Lincoln vs. Leonidus (inspired by David Dukes' Halloween costume from last year, "Lincolnidus"), Firefighter vs. Tyrannasaurus Rex, Giraffe vs. Marathon Runner, Numbered Cardinals vs. Cardinal Numbers, and three more that I've forgotten.
I got my school books back today after they'd dissappeared for three months. I'm glad because now I can actually try to follow along in class and get something out of it.
I recieved a letter from my good friend, Kelly DeRolf, yesterday and that really cheered me up a whole lot. It was good to hear about what she was doing and for some reason it reminded me of all the things I've been doing and that I really have been having a great year. I think I'll blame the "exchange cycles" for convincing me that I wasn't.
One last thing, I keep writing this and no one ever gives me any feedback. I'm told bunches of people read this and I want to know what they have to say about things, or maybe they have questions I could answer this way. You could even just write "cool". Or "wizard".

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok here's a comment for you entitled "Nocturnal is Normal." My daily routine in the 80's when I was about 25 years old: noon to 5pm worked in a biochem lab at the VA Hospital using baboon blood & hamster lung to try to find an indicator or predictor for ARDS. (Google that if you really wanna know) I didn't really understand the chemistry of it but I was good with a pipette; Go home put on lots of makeup; 7pm to midnight or later Barmaid/bartender at Jerry Dean's Lounge; grab a steak fajita at Taco Cabana on the way home; David Letterman (when he was dropping watermelons & other things off buildings & other very funny things) and other late night shows; around 3am get in bed, toss & turn & worry for awhile; 9am disturbed by little kids riding big wheels down the sidewalk outside my bedroom window which I had covered with aluminum foil to keep out the light; 11:30 drag myself out of bed to get to the lab.
Then in 1986 I got a job at USAA insurance & I had to be there, dressed decently, at 7:15AM & if you were more than 5 minutes late you were docked 15 minutes of pay. Turned me into a morning dove instead of a night hawk. But before that, Nocturnal was Normal.
Of course no one will read this comment right Nigel?

Anonymous said...

Nigel!!!~
I'm really glad to hear you'll be doing more printmaking!! Bell showed our AM class some of the things you did last year and they were so cool @___@ make sure you share these new ones when you get around to printing them! :3

Sorry I don't comment on your updates more u__u; But I do stalk down your blogger quite often for updates :3
-Chayneta'

Isaac Whorl said...

begging for comments, huh? Here you go... I loled at numbered cardinals vs. cardinal numbers. Did I tell you i'm moving to Utah? Maybe your next great journety could be to the midwest USA.

Anonymous said...

Wizard.