Monday, May 4, 2009

Different Style

So, I just changed families last Sunday for the final time. I feel pretty good about the move, I think that I'll have a pleasant last month here. Actually, there are a couple things that have made this host family a little better to adapt to, like the place is smaller, Tina MaMa moms me a lot more (she's even an insurance agent like my Mom), the room I'm in is about the size of my room in our house in Dallastown (except my actual "space" is much smaller due to big plastic boxes, bookshelves, and a computer on a big desk. So, I'm sending three little boxes back sometime soon).

I actually have some of the wonder I had when I first arrived, except now I am a little more able to use that wonder instead of getting lost in how much I don't know. I've been writing in my journal lately about the way that my experience has turned out, how even when I thought nothing was going on I ended up learning and being involved wih things that other exchange students didn't have an opportunity or interest to pursue. I feel pretty lucky in that respect, that out of all the randomness of life and the trivial anxieties and seemigly wasted days I've had here something good would come out of it.

I've decided to be more like water for the rest of my time here and perhaps in the future. I'll just go where I'm taken and see what happens. This Thursday I'm performing some songs on my mandolin in a Mother's Day concert at school. "Tree Hugger" by Kimya Dawson and "You're My Mom" which I have yet to write, but it's going to be about how, after calling four other people "Mama" this year, I still really only have one Mom.

Anyway, I'll be back soon, starting n some more domestic adventures. Ths summer camp job will be fun, although I won't have a lot of time for anything else which is a bummer (The summer bummer). After that, I'll be headed off to Near-Phillie to work on my future. I really just want to jam for the rest of my life. People do that, right?

1 comment:

Li da qi said...

Congrats on the "New" digs! Saw Mr. Fickes today He is very interested in your life in Taiwan, He would like to see a "show and Tell" when you get Home. The Plane you asked about is the "Harrier". We are looking forward to your arrival. Auntie April had a baby Boy his name is "Guy", He is a cute little guy! Ha Ha!I liked your analogy of water and following it where-ever is may go! I remember my first time I crossed the street in luo yang, i walked into the street with my eyes closed and the traffic on the street just flowed around me as if water. But the gun gun Che cha were not as free flowing, Go with the flow or plunge anaclinal.(Having a course opposed to the dip of underlying rocks; Webster) Dad