Thursday, May 28, 2009

Taipei for a short stay.

Well, the Round Island Tour went by at least as fast as the trip with my schoolmates, if not faster.

So now I'm back in Taipei for the next eleven days. Tina Mama is down in Kaosiung until the 31st, so I'm back next to Taipei 101 at Ellen's house.

I'm very eager to get back home, but I don't know what I'll find there. I know it will be the same as it was when I left, but I'll be looking at it with a very different perspective. I'm sure I will even revert to how I was pre-flight, in some sense, even though I would really like to hold on to my current state of mind.

I think that the most difficult thing to adjust to will be the way that most people will look at me and talk to me as the same person that left a little over nine months ago, and I can't be sure of what will happen when they see what I've come back as. Not that I've completely transformed into something that can't be recognized as Nigel Ulysses Hieronymus, it's just Nigel Ulysses Hieronymus as filtered through nine months of Taiwan and all of the circumstances he encountered there.

Another sort of scary thing is that this whole exchange was the start of a life of movement. The summer brings a sort of distant job, and then I'll be starting a life at school out close to Philidelphia, and after that I don't see myself sticking around for too long as I want to see the rest of America at some point and head over to Europe to visit all my friends over there. I want to sail a sea and climb a mountain, and if none of these things ever happen, I want to be okay with that.

There's not much left for me to say anymore here. I think that these next days before I leave will be either really slow or really fast, but either way I'm probably not going to blog at all, we'll see.

If I don't write again, thanks for supporting me over here. I love you all and I'll see everyone soon enough.
Good luck,
Love,
Nigel

4 comments:

Isaac Whorl said...

Good luck on the trip home. Pam and I will be in Vernal Utah by June 6th or 7th (hopefully). If you need to travel to the mid-west, we will always have somewhere for you to stay. We have some mountains nearby that are good for climbing.

Sam said...

Hey Nigel,

If you don't write here again, know that I've enjoyed reading about your travels a great deal. And please pardon us bros as we acclimate ourselves to the more experienced Nigel Ulysses Hieronymus. Errors will undoubtedly be made.

Also I just read a book that might interest you, entitled "The Sex Lives of Cannibals." It's about a guy and his wife that go to live on this remote corner of the world. At the end, they come back and their feelings may be similar to yours upon your return.

Have a great rest of your journey!

-Sam

Vince said...

Hey man. If we don't talk before you leave have a safe trip man. It's been great following you, and I'm really glad you had a good time.

Look forward to seeing you!

-Vince

Li da qi said...

Whoa, slow this puppy down!It is apparent young weedhopper that you are on the doorstep of reality. I am so thankful to god for you! That no matter how you've changed your still my numero yi son, mom and I meerly opened you as a gift 19+ years ago. Now the surprize at unwrapping will continue! Good Travel and continued success! Please Thank God, your host families and the rotary for making this possible, see you soon! Love Dad