Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ghosts

This is all gonna sound like incoherant mumbo jumbo, and you'll all swear I've gone crazy, but I have reason to believe that, in Taiwan at least, ghosts are present.
When the Filipino housekeeper first explained to me, in broken English, that she feels the presence of a spirit in our apartment, I played it off, convinced she was just talking at me. The next time she mentioned it, she had "proof". She told me how she cleans the bathroom (in what we call "the Master Bedroom") making sure that there isn't any water in the sink or hair on the floor. Everything clean, she leaves the room to work elsewhere, but when she returns, there is hair on the floor and water in the sink, maybe even more than what she cleaned up before. She emphasized to me that no one goes in there, except for her, all day, and that the room isn't drafty at all. She also mentioned that she has to struggle to close my little brother's bedroom door sometimes. Says that it's as though there was someone on the other side pulling it open, and when she checks to see who it could be, there is no one there.
I didn't really take her words very seriously at first. I blamed the wind or her very vivid imagination, especially since she's stuck inside for days at a time. It was not until a few mornings ago that I thought there might be some truth to what she keeps saying.
I woke up that morning, as muc as I didn't want to, and put on my uniform and headed into the bathroom. When I return to my room, I discovered the computer's mousepad on my bed and my pillowcase to be missing. I could explain the pillowcase (Angie had taken it to be washed), but the mousepad? I was sure I hadn't touched it. I later asked Angie about it and she said that yes, she had taken the pillowcase, but she knew nothing about the mousepad.
Anyway, I think the ghost likes me, and Mom went to the temple and stuff, so it isn't a problem.
My fellow exchange students have had similar experiences.
The thing about ghosts is the unknown. That's what people are afraid of. Not knowing what it is that is happening and not being able to get substantial proof about what you believe. I think ghosts exist in Taiwan because so many people here believe that they do. There's a lot of power in belief.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One time when I was about 16 my dad's ghost was at my house. He was whistling. My friend was there but she didn't hear him.
Does your ghost have hair or does it just spread around the hair that the housekeeper put in the trash I wonder?

Vince said...

There's a ghost in my house man. They guy that used to live here before my family did used to always smoke cigars in this one corner. And sometimes people have said they've just smelt like random waves of cigar smoke throughout different parts of the house. Also the other night Sean said he saw an orb in our dining room, then then flew into out kitchen and disappeared, but that's him so I don't know