Monday, December 8, 2008

Earthquakes, Haircuts, and Things That Creep Me Out

I am loving the city. I was thinking, the other day, how there are an untold number of people who live their entire lives in one place, never seriously considering what life might be like elsewhere. I'm happy to say, I've considered it.

Last week, I was in Chinese class when a small earthquake occured. I only realized it when my four-wheeled chair began to roll slightly, as though suddenly we were all out in the ocean. I had a similar experience yesterday at 5:25 AM when I was woken up from my dream of being in a row boat by the actual feeling of being in a row boat (or a row bed). My dad told me later when I asked him about it that he hadn't felt anything. One, he was asleep; and two, his room is in the first floor apartment. Mijn is on the fifth, where the building actually sways.

Can you read Dutch?

On Sunday last, my oldest sister took me and my niece to XiMen Ding, where the young folks hang out. Our main purpose was to get some haircut action. And we did. I now have a perfectly Taiwanese look.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The day I started writing this, the following things were creeping me out:
  1. People telling me that I'm cold. (I wonder what they kow that I don't.)
  2. "Did you hurt your nose?"
  3. Has this busdriver been driving the same bus for 100 years?
  4. What was scratching around on the floor the other night?
  5. The smell of sterility eminating from the hospital down the street.
  6. Walking down the street with mopeds whizzing by.

These things still give me strange thoughts.

No comments: